Altitude Drug is now offering Covid-19 serology (antibody) testing
What is an antibody test?
- Antibody testing determines whether you have had or been exposed to COVID-19 in the past and now have antibodies against the virus. It does NOT tell you if you have an active COVID-19 infection and is NOT for people with symptoms of an active infection.
- It can take at least two weeks after exposure to develop antibodies.
Why is antibody testing important?
- If test results show that you have antibodies, it indicates that you were likely infected or exposed with COVID-19 at some time in the past. It may also mean that you have some immunity, although ongoing research is needed to determine if you are immune from reinfection or not.
- People who have recovered from COVID-19 may be eligible to donate plasma that could be used to treat others with severe COVID-19 disease and boost the ability to fight the virus.
- Accurate antibody testing is important for public-health decision making on when we may be able to resume normal social activities.
Having an antibody test is helpful if:
- Your health care provider believes you may have been exposed to the coronavirus which causes COVID-19 based on your current or previous signs and symptoms (e.g., fever, cough, difficulty breathing).
- You live in or have recently traveled to a place where transmission of COVID-19 is known to occur.
- You have been in close contact with an individual suspected of or confirmed to have COVID-19.
- You have recovered from COVID-19.
How can I get this test?
- All tests require an appointment. After you fill out the patient intake form, click above on STEP 2: Schedule your appointment. To ensure adequate time for disinfecting between patients, it is very important to show up on time. If you are late or do not show up there will be a $25 rescheduling fee. Testing fees are non-refundable.
Do I need an order from my physician to obtain this test?
- No. An important factor in the fight against COVID-19 is increasing access to patient-care and testing. Under the Public Readiness and Emergency Preparedness Act (PREP Act) pharmacists may order and administer COVID-19 tests.
What test is being used and how accurate are the results?
- Altitude Drug is using one of the leading antibody tests available: Confirm Biosciences Healgen serology test.
“…Researchers rated Healgen at 97% sensitivity and 98% specificity with IgG and at 100% sensitivity and 100% specificity with IgM. The test was rated at 100% sensitivity and 98% specificity when IgG and IgM results were combined. In practical terms, these results indicate that the Healgen test is a leading screening tool for COVID-19 infection.
The research also shows the serology test can detect samples with a dilution titer as high as 1:6400, which means the Healgen test can detect extremely low concentrations of SARS-CoV-2 antibodies in samples. In addition, the research showed there is no cross-reactivity between the Healgen serology test and serum samples that are positive for HIV. That’s important because it indicates that the test is highly specific for coronavirus, meaning it is effective at screening out false positives.” (https://www.confirmbiosciences.com/knowledge/blog/covid-19-antibody-test-offered-by-confirm-biosciences-gets-high-marks-for-accuracy-and-quality-in-national-institutes-of-health-research/)
Where will the test take place?
- Altitude Drug is a CLIA certified laboratory and the the test will take place in our private, patient care room.
- We are able to offer curbside testing by request. Please note curbside testing is available for the passenger only.
How many patients can be tested at one time?
- Only one patient will be allowed in a testing room at a time. The room will be disinfected after each patient/test. Please show up on time to allow for adequate time to accomplish this.
Is there an age limit to receive the test?
- Yes. Because we are allowing only one person in the room at a time, we are only testing adults 18 and older. Check with other labs or providers to determine if they offer antibody testing for children.
How should I prepare for the test?
- You do not need to do anything to prepare for the test, but good hygiene is expected. Please shower and wear deodorant. Masks are also required. If you do not have a mask, one will be provided.
What should I expect when I take the test?
- When you arrive at Altitude Drug, a pharmacist will take a blood sample. The sample will be collected from your fingertip, similar to blood glucose testing.
When will I get my results?
- Your results will be ready within 10 to 15 minutes. You may choose to wait in your car or the Altitude Drug staff will you give you a call.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
- The cost of the antibody test is $95. Payment must be made at the time of appointment scheduling. Tests are self-pay. Altitude Drug does not bill insurance for the test. Test fees are non-refundable.
How do I schedule?
- Fill out the patient intake form. A copy will be emailed to Altitude Drug. Click above on STEP 2: Schedule your appointment.
Is this test right for me?
- I am NOT currently experiencing symptoms consistent with COVID-19 (fever, shortness of breath, cough, loss of smell/test, diarrhea, etc.)
- I have not had a fever in the past 3 days.
- I have had or suspect I may have had COVID-19 MORE THAN 14 DAYS AGO
- I have an otherwise healthy immune system
- I am feeling sick or have had a fever within the last 3 days.
- I want to see if I currently have COVID-19 or I have been diagnosed with COVID-19 within the last 14 days
- I was directly exposed to the virus within the past 14 days
- I have a condition that weakens my immune system